Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pesto & Veggie Egg Sandwich

I love this time of year for CSA's because everything is green. Green foods energize me and get me on track for summer fun. This weeks CSA shares had the once a year delight, garlic scapes, in abundance. Scapes are the tops of the garlic that shoot up in early summer. To get nice fat garlic heads, the farmer cuts the scapes so that nutrients are no longer lost on these shoots. The scapes are long and curly and have a mild garlic taste. I use them in everything I would use garlic in, plus add them raw to my salads. This recipe also calls for pesto, which I had a jar of in my fridge, but I'm thinking next time I'd like to try and make a spinach scape pesto. Either way, this open-face sandwich was kick-ass. I also used bread and mushrooms from my CSA add-ons, too. This is one yummy, Maine grown meal!

Pesto & Veggie Egg Sandwich
4 eggs
2 C spinach, ripped into pieces
1 tomato, sliced into rounds
4 T pesto (or more if you love pesto like I do!)
1 C blue oyster mushrooms, chopped (this really could be any type of mushroom)
2T unsalted butter
4 thick slices of bread
4 oz shredded cheese (I used a creamy onion & herb cheese from Pineland Farms)

Melt butter in skillet and saute mushrooms for 5 minutes, then add spinach and scapes. Saute for another 2 minutes until spinach is wilted. Meanwhile, toast the bread and spread 1 tablespoon of pesto on each slice. Add sliced tomatoes and spinach & mushroom mixture. Quickly fry 4 eggs, leaving yolks runny and place one on top of each sandwich. Sprinkle with cheese and serve with a large salad for a quick, summery lunch or dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment