Search This Blog

Monday, November 21, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup

In my fall CSA I had signed up for two chickens. I thought it would be a good dry run for the turkey, since I haven't cooked a whole bird in at least 8 years. The best part about this was the meat left on the bones after the meal. This week I decided to turn it into soup. We have all had a bout with the flu in the last week, so I thought a good serving of veggies and broth was just what we needed to get our immune systems back up and running. Also, I haven't had chicken noodle soup in a decade - I was never a fan before - and the kids have probably never had it. I thought this was a good time as any to introduce them. It was a huge success with everyone, and I cannot wait to make a turkey rice soup next week.


Chicken Noodle Soup
1 C cooked chicken, chopped
3 leeks, green and white parts sliced thin
2 large carrots, sliced into 1/4 rounds
2 salad turnips, chopped
6 leaves napa cabbage, leaves and stems separated and chopped
6 C broth
1 1/2 C uncooked pasta (noodles, shells, anything small and bite sized)
salt & pepper

1. Add broth to a large soup pot and turn to medium heat. Add carrots, turnips, leeks and stems of cabbage. Bring to a gentle boil, cover and drop to a simmer for an hour. Add in chicken, cabbage leaves and pasta. Bring to boil again, cover and drop to a simmer for about 10 minutes, until pasta is soft. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with a crusty roll and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment