Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Delicata Squash Curry

We have a ton of squashes from our December share at Little Ridge Farms, and I am having a blast finding fun ways to use them up. We've had squash corn muffins, squash soup, stuffed squash, and now, squash curry. Unfortunately, squash is the one food my kids are not wild about. Either is curry. So this was a mama and papa meal (the kids ate scrambled eggs and toast), and we will DEFINITELY be having this again, next time with apples.

I love curry, and could eat it several times a week. It reminds me of being pregnant with my first son, in which I craved curry chicken every single night...and much to my ex-husbands dismay, we ate it nearly that often. Granted, I probably have a lot to learn about curry, but I'm willing to keep trying. Over and over again. Until I get it right.

Delicata Squash Curry
 2 C delicata squash, peeled and chopped into cubes
1/2 C onion, sliced
2 T garlic, sliced
1 C carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2" thick rounds
1 - 2 T curry powder (depending on hot you like it and how fresh it is)
1 C water
1 C coconut milk
1/2 t salt
1 T oil
shredded unsweetened coconut

In a large pan heat oil over medium heat. Add in onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add in squash and carrots and mix thoroughly. Let cook for 2 minutes. Add in curry powder and cook another 2 minutes, stirring to make sure the vegetables are evenly coated with the powder. Add water and cover, turning heat to medium high. Cook until water is reduced, stirring once or twice. Check to make sure squash is fully cooked - if not, add a 1/4 C more water and cover until reduced. Turn heat to medium and add in coconut milk and salt. Let simmer gently in milk more 5 minutes. Serve over rice and sprinkle with shredded coconut.

Serve with some naan, egg rolls, a breast of chicken, or just eat on its own. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment