Search This Blog

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Peanut Butter Seitan Curry

In our attempt to try out new foods, we have gone Vegan. Well, by we I mean me - everyone else in the house can eat what they want, but seeing as though I do the dinner cooking, they eat vegan at least once a day. Last night was just the kiddos and me, and I was craving peanut butter and curry....of course, when am I not craving curry, right? So I set to work and pulled out all the things in the cupboard and fridge that might go with this. And I pulled out the chicken flavored Seitan I had gotten at the Natural Market....I'm not a huge fan of replacing meat with fake meat, but sometimes it helps with the oldest kid, who tells me often "I can eat what I want, it's my body." Which is true, so I try to give him all the information he needs to make informed eating decisions (even though I will never win out over hot dogs). So fake meat makes a once a week visit to our menu, for his sake.

Peanut Butter Seitan Curry
serves 4

1 package Chicken Seitan
1 red pepper, diced
1 onion, sliced into thin strips
2 carrots, quartered and sliced
10 white button mushrooms, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 C nuts (mine were curried cashews)
2 T coconut oil
1/2 C peanut butter
1/4 C soy sauce
1 T chili sauce
1 T minced ginger
1/4 C coconut milk
1/2 C water
fresh ground pepper
1/2 T curry powder
1 T arrowroot
2 T water

Melt coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add in Seitan and saute about 5 minutes, until it starts to brown a bit. Add onions, peppers, and carrots and saute until soft. Meanwhile, whisk together sauce ingredients - peanut butter, soy sauce, chili sauce, ginger, coconut milk, water, pepper and curry powder. Add in mushrooms and cook 1 minute. Dump into pan and stir thoroughly to coat veggies and seitan. Cook for 5 minutes. Mix arrowroot and water together and dump into pan and stir thoroughly. Toss in tomatoes and nuts. Serve over brown rice, adding extra chili sauce if you like it spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment