Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

Mac & Cheese

My boys requested mac & cheese tonight...actually, they requested Annie's mac & cheese, but I decided to do them one better - I made mommy mac & cheese. I had about 2 cups of uncooked organic bow tie pasta in my cupboard and some yummy Pineland farms cheddar cheese in the fridge. Apparently it was a hit because my youngest declared this my best meal yet!

Mac & Cheese
2 C uncooked pasta
2 1/2 C shredded cheese (I used a mixture of mozzarella & cheddar for extra gooeyness)
2 T flour
1/2 C unsalted butter
1/4 t ground mustard
1 1/2 C milk
1/2 C cream
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/2 C bread crumbs

Cook pasta according to directions. Preheat oven to 350. Meanwhile, melt 1/4 C butter in saucepan over low heat. Add in salt, pepper, flour, and mustard and mix thoroughly. Continue stirring over low heat until a roux is formed - mixture will be smooth, bubbly and golden. Stir in milk and cream, then bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, still stirring. Mix in cheese and stir over medium heat until thoroughly melted. Mix cooked and drained pasta with the cheese sauce and place in large glass baking dish. In small saucepan melt remaining 1/4 C butter and add bread crumbs, then continue to cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat until bread crumbs are nice and brown. Sprinkle crumbs over mac and cheese evenly. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.

Serve this with a nice slice of bread and a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment