My CSA share last week from Little Ridge Farms included Asparagus. I love asparagus. In fact, I wait all year for it as the first official sign of spring. Those green wonderful little trees are so delectable when fresh off the farm...once you have them, you will never go back to the tasteless green sticks at the supermarket. In light of these wonderful veggies, I made a light spring dinner tonight.
Asparagus & Eggs
1 bunch of fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed if necessary
2 handfuls sorrel
2 T olive oil
salt and pepper
1 T butter, unsalted
3 T water
Citrus Avocado Sauce
1 T olive oil
1 lemon, squeezed
1/4 C orange juice
1 T honey
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
1. Place all ingredients for sauce in a food processor and puree until smooth. Set aside.
2. Heat 2 oil in large saute pan with a tight fitting lid, sprinkling pan with salt and pepper.
3. Saute asparagus spears for 5-7 minutes, stirring once or twice.
4. Cover with water and place lid on pan. Keep covered for 8 minutes, or until spears are tender.
5. Meanwhile, heat frying pan over meat heat and add butter. Fry 2 eggs, leaving the yolks runny.
6. Remove asparagus from pan and set aside, keeping warm.
7. Add sorrel to asparagus water and saute until wilted.
8. To plate: Place 1/2 sorrel on plate and cover with fried egg. Wrap asparagus around the egg/sorrel in a C shape, drizzling citrus avocado sauce over asparagus spears. Serve with toast.