Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Fish Curry

My body was craving curry last night....I mean craving it. I wanted my house to fill with that succulent smell, my fingers to turn yellow from the powder, and the heavy notes to linger in my nose all night. As I sit here eating it for breakfast the next day, I realize just how scrumptious it was, and I how I absolutely must include it on here. If not for all of you, at least for my memory. Curry has a special place in my heart because when I was pregnant with my oldest son it was all I craved (well, that and olives), so we ate it 5 times a week. I'm surprised he didn't come out the color of Tumeric.

The great thing about curry is it can become a hodge-podge of ingredients from the fridge. This is what I had on hand, but you could add peas, green beans, squash, zucchini, chicken, pork...the list is endless. Like I said, it was so yummy that I stirred an egg into the left-overs, toasted a giant slice of buttermilk bread, and am enjoying it all over again for breakfast.

Fish Curry
1 lb fish, cut into bite sized chunks (any type of white fish works best)
1 large potato, diced
1/2 C mushrooms, chopped (I used Chicken of the Woods, but any firm mushroom would work)
1/2 green pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 heads tat soi, chopped (leaves and stems separated)**
14 oz coconut milk
3 T curry powder*
1 1/2 t chili powder
Water, as needed
2 T safflower oil
1T butter


*This all depends on the strength of your curry powder. Mine had been sitting on the shelf for quite some time so I knew it would be weak. I could have used more, but with kids I didn't want it to be too strong. Adapt your recipe depending on the freshness of your curry powder and who is eating it.

**Tat soi is a chinese green that wilts up fast, alot like bok choy. You can use any green to replace it.

1. Heat safflower oil and butter in large pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic and green peppers and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.

2. Add potatoes, curry powder and chili powder. Cook 1 minute.

3. Add about 1/2 C water, just until veggies are wet. Cover and cook until potatoes are soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.

4. Stir in coconut milk to veggies and bring to a simmer.

5. Add fish chunks and stir gently. Cover and cook 5 minutes.

6. Stir in chopped tat soi stems and cover again. Cook 2 more minutes.

7. Remove from heat and add tat soi leaves and stir gently. Cover and let sit 2 minutes.

8. Serve over brown rice with a side of Indian flatbread - naan - or some pita bread, to sop up any juices.

No comments:

Post a Comment