Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tricky Mac 'n Cheese

I am blessed with kids who love veggies. They request kale and potato soup, they devour spinach quinoa pilaf, and they munch fresh salads all summer long. BUT, that doesn't stop me from wanting to trick them every once in a while. Tonight's meal was one of those times. My oldest requested I make my homemade mac 'n cheese. Easy enough. But what about all those veggies sitting around in my fridge. I could throw in spinach, or mushrooms, but my kids are die-hard straight forward mac 'n cheese eaters. They want pasta and cheese. Period. So in order to get a veggie mac 'n cheese, I had to be tricky. I got a 1/2 head of cauliflower out of the fridge and steamed the crap out of it, until it was soft and mushy. Perfection. Mixed with a cheese sauce and tossed with pasta, I was able to successfully trick my children...Sometimes I live for these moments.

Mac 'n Cauli-Cheese
1/2 head cauliflower, steamed and mashed
6 C cooked pasta
2 C shredded cheddar cheese
2 T butter
2 T flour
1 C milk
salt and pepper


Preheat oven to 350. Toss cooked pasta with cauliflower once it's mashed and set aside. In saucepan over medium heat melt butter then add flour in and whisk for a few minutes until smooth and tan. Slowly add in milk and turn up to high heat and whisk continually until it starts to boil, then continue to whisk for 1 minute. Remove from heat, add cheese, salt and pepper and stir. Toss gently with pasta and bake for 35 minutes.

Serve with a spinach & apple salad and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment