Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Blueberry and Goat Cheese Risotto

Summer in Maine means blueberries. I recently took a trip up the coast to Washington County, which grows 86% of the worlds blueberries. To not have come home with some would have been a pity. We jumped out in a remote area in TWP 29 and filled a coffee cup with beautiful blue pearls of loveliness. If I had been more prepared, I could have easily filled a quart size container in 10 minutes. Sadly, I was not, and came home with about 2 cups worth. When trying to decide on what to make with these delicious blue treats, I decided against the traditional pie or muffins, and went for my comfort food - risotto. I knew I had to add something else unique to the dish as well, though, something to really make the blueberries pop. I had read about making a beet and goat cheese risotto, which was a gorgeous and rich purple, and knew that I had to make a summer version of such a creamy and earthy dish. I paired it with a delicious roasted chicken my partner made with a rub of clovers and basil. Perfection - every decision around this dish was the right one.



Blueberry and Goat Cheese Risotto


2 C blueberries
2 C arborio rice
1 lemon
1 C white wine
6 C vegetable stock
4 T butter
2 T goat cheese
1/2 C sliced onions
1 t sugar
salt & pepper to taste

Before starting the risotto, caramelize the onions by adding 2 T butter to a pan. Once melted, toss in onions and coat with butter. Turn pan to medium low and stir onions sparingly until the start to turn a nice golden hue. Add sugar and toss. Continue cooking until onions are caramel colored. Turn pan to medium heat and add 1 T butter and rice. Stir thoroughly and coat the rice in butter and onions mixture. Let cook 3 minutes, just until rice starts to lightly brown, then squeeze in fresh lemon juice. Add white wine and begin stirring constantly - this is key in order to give risotto its creamy texture. As the liquid is absorbed, add a cup of stock at a time. With the second cup, add blueberries - you can add the whole amount or just some, depending on how blueberry you want it. Keep stirring constantly, adding liquid until the rice is al dente. Stir in goat cheese, last tablespoon of butter and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment