Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

Pureed Pumpkin Soup

Got a wonderful little pie pumpkin in my CSA share from Hatchet Cove Farm and since I'm not a pumpkin pie fan, I thought I would make a soup for my phamily dinner. This was simple and yummy for a cool autumn day.

Pureed Pumpkin Soup
1 pie pumpkin (see directions below about preparation)
1 apple, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 C milk (I used almond milk)
spices - I used a mix of cinnamon, pumpkin spice and curry
salt & pepper
2 T oil
3 C water/broth

Cut pumpkin in half and put cut side down in a baking pan with a little bit of water in it. Bake at 350 degrees until soft, about 45 minutes.

Heat oil in pot and saute onions until translucent. Scoop pumpkin into pan and stir thoroughly. Add water/broth to cover pumpkin/onion mix. Bring to a boil and simmer gently. Add apples and spices and continue to cook an hour or 2 until flavors are mixed and everything is soft. Remove from heat and process in blender until smooth. Return to heat in pot and add salt and pepper and milk and stir. Taste and adjust spices as needed. Warm soup without bringing to boil. Serve with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment