Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Secret Veggie Potato Pancakes

I haven't been making posts recently because I don't have a camera to take pics of all my yummy food. But you know what, that's not going to stop me anymore. Until I get a new camera, you'll just have to use your imagination!

I was scrounging around the house for food and trying to make something we all would enjoy. I was too lazy to go shopping and our food on hand was pretty limited, but with a little creativity I came up with a yummy meal my kids devoured! It's a new spin on an old recipe - potato pancakes. I was trying to pack in as many veggies as I had on hand, without them noticing, and thought these were the perfect way to do it. It's no secret at this point my kids love kale, and I don't usually have to hide it for them to eat it, but I thought it would just be a fun twist to do so...keeps them on their toes! So without further adieu, here is the recipe.

Irish Pancakes
4 medium sized potatoes, cut into chunks
1 C kale, ripped into pieces
1 large carrot, peeled
1 small onion, chopped
2 eggs
3 T flour
salt and pepper
Oil, for frying

Toss potatoes into food processor and process until broken into tiny pieces (or shred them with a cheese shredder). Place in bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Process kale and carrot together until desired texture, then toss in bowl with potato. Add onions and stir thoroughly. Beat 2 eggs until fluffy and add to veggies with flour. Stir thoroughly to incorporate into the veggies. Heat some oil in a cast iron skillet and when ready, spoon mixture into pan in desired shapes and sizes. Cook 2-4 minutes on each side, until brown and crispy. Keep cooked pancakes warm in oven until all are ready.

I served this with a small dollop of sour cream, a side of greens and dressing and some sauteed cauliflower. Right before we devoured the entire plate of food, we realized that everything on it (except the sour cream & dressing) had come from our CSA at Hatchet Cove Farms. A great meal that only traveled 30 miles to our plate!!

1 comment: