Search This Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Power Orzo

I had some kale inspiration today! I got a giant bag of kale from my wonderful CSA farm - Hatchet Cove - and I began blanching and freezing it for the winter. But as I was cutting it all up, and nibbling as I went, I had the inspiration for dinner. I sent the kids to the backyard to pick green beans, and started working on a super nutrient packed dinner for us all.

Power Orzo
1 bunch of lacino kale, chopped
2 C orzo pasta
2 carrots, peeled & chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 handful green beans, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 C nutritional yeast (OR you can use cheese)
1/4 C cheddar cheese
3 T butter, unsalted
1/4 C stock
1T oil
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil and drop in Orzo and cook for 5 minutes, then drop in Kale. Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil over medium heat and saute onions, carrots, zucchini and green beans for 5 minutes. Add stock to veggies and stir thoroughly. Let simmer for 2 minutes then add nutritional yeast, butter and salt and pepper and stir thoroughly. When pasta and kale is done strain thoroughly and toss into veggie mixture. Stir thoroughly and add salt and pepper to taste, and more nutritional yeast if you want. Plate meal and sprinkle cheddar cheese over top.

No comments:

Post a Comment