Search This Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Not Burgers

I made some savory muffins, with shredded zucchini and carrot, and after devouring one straight from the oven, I got an idea to use them for dinner, as a burger bun! So the first line of business was making a decent and flavorful veggie burger. I had bought some dry aduki beans and finally had made some up - but I had left the house with them on the stove and when I came home, they were WELL done. I threw them in the fridge and figured I'd find a use for them. And I did - veggie burgers!

Bean & Tofu Veggie Burgers
1C cooked & mashed aduki beans
1/2 lb firm tofu, drained and crumbled
1 small onion, chopped
4 large leaves swiss chard, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg
1 T mustard
3 T flax meal
2 T hemp powder
1 T Bragg's Amino Acid (or soy sauce/nama shoyu)
1 T oil
pepper, to taste

Heat oil over medium heat in a skillet and saute onions for 2 minutes. Add tofu, sprinkle with pepper and 1/2 of Bragg's and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and swiss chard, more pepper and rest of Bragg's and saute another 5 minutes. Mix with beans, egg, mustard, flax meal & hemp powder. Form into patties and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until done, flipping once 1/2 way through cooking.

These were so flavorful and not heavy at all, and serving them on a savory muffin with a little cheese was perfect. My 6 year old devoured every bite, which is a big accomplishment in this house! These are on the must make again list.

2 comments:

  1. Could you post the recipe for those muffins?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I'm not sure what I used. I think I just made a basic muffin and then added onions or something like that...maybe cheese. Wish I could remember, sorry!

    ReplyDelete