Search This Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Everything But The...Casserole

My family is weary of casseroles...the lovely boyfriend isn't a fan and the kids think I'm trying to serve them mush disguised as dinner. Maybe I love torturing them, or maybe I really like to see their faces as I plop a casserole on the table...either way, it was a casserole type of night. We had a plethora of veggies from our lovely CSA at Hatchet Cove, some fresh stock from last night, and some golden split peas that have been collecting dust in the back of the cupboard. I decided to try my hand at casserole one more time, and boy am I glad I did. I got rave reviews from the kids and the boyfriend...in fact, my 6 year old requested I make it again next week!

Everything But The...Casserole
1/2 C uncooked Basmati rice
2-4 C vegetable stock
1 C golden split peas
1 T coconut oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 fresh tomato, chopped
1/2 C fresh green beans, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped
2 C chopped swiss chard
1 C marina sauce
salt and pepper
5 scallions, sliced

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook rice in 1 cup of stock and set aside. Cook split peas in 3 cups of fluid - I used 1 cup of stock & 2 cups of water because that's what I had on hand. Set aside with rice. Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions, zucchini, carrots, green beans, swiss chard and tomato for 5 minutes, just until soft. Remove from heat and mix in rice and split peas, add marinara sauce, salt and pepper, garlic and scallions. Place in baking dish and cover with tin foil. Bake for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment