Search This Blog

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Potato Leek Soup

I got some more red potatoes in my CSA share this week and bought some leeks at the Bath Natural Market with the hopes of soup...My 4 year old saw these and put 2 and 2 together, and voila, Potato Leek Soup for dinner! Here's the recipe I used because it's what I had on hand, but feel free to make changes and additions based on what's in your fridge. And next time I make this, I think I will saute the potatoes in oil before adding the water/stock in order to roast out some flavor...oooh, or if it's not hot out, maybe I will actually roast them in the oven!

Potato Leek Soup
4-6 large potatoes, cubed
2 large leeks, sliced thinly (I use the green & white parts)
2 cloves garlic (or more if you like), minced
1 large carrot, sliced
4-6 C stock/water
1 T butter (unsalted)
1/4 C heavy cream
1 T oil

Add potatoes and water/stock to a soup pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer at medium heat until potatoes are soft. Take a potato masher and smash away - or leave potatoes as is - my family likes the smashed potato consistency. Meanwhile, saute leeks in oil over medium heat until soft and starting to brown lightly, about 10 minutes. Add to potatoes. Toss in carrots - again these were an afterthought for me, so if you want, add them to the leeks and saute first. Stir in garlic and simmer soup for about 10 minutes to incorporate flavors. Add butter and cream and stir thoroughly - do not allow soup to boil once cream is in or else it will curdle. Ladle into bowls and serve with biscuits or bread and a light salad for full hearty meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment