Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2012

Squash Tofu Pizza

Yup, that's right. Pizza with squash and tofu. And it was good. Really good. I wanted to experiment with squash on pizzas, mostly because I'm over-run with them from my winter CSA, and I'm trying to get more creative with them. I also wanted to experiment with tofu instead of cheese, just because it sounded intriguing. I like a challenge. This turned out to be an excellent decision, and took me pleasantly by surprise. I'm no vegan, but I quite enjoyed this vegan pizza. Next time, I might drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar over it, too. Yum!

This is a simple no-rise dough, but if you want to let it rise, it's even better.

Pizza Dough
2 1/2 C flour (white, wheat, or a combination)
1/2 C flax seed meal
2 T yeast
2 T oil
1 T sugar
1 t salt
1 C very warm water

In a large bowl mix flour, flax seed meal, salt, sugar and yeast. Mix in oil and water. I like to use my hands to fully incorporate the flour and get a feel for the dough. Set aside and rise, or press into a pan - I always use a greased cast iron skillet or griddle for my pizza. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.


Squash Sauce
1 delicata squash (or any other winter squash), about 1 C pureed
2 t garlic powder
salt and pepper

Halve the squash and scrape out the seeds. Steam until soft then scoop out the insides into a bowl. Mix in garlic powder, a sprinkle of salt and a bit of pepper. I used a handheld blender to make my nice and sauce like.

Tofu Cheese
1/2 pound extra firm tofu
1/4 C nutritional yeast
salt & pepper

In a bowl crumble tofu and mix in nutritional yeast, a dash of salt and bit of pepper.

Toppings
Caramelized onions
Fresh Basil
Fresh Spinach

Now put it all together! Press out the dough into the pan of choice, spread the squash sauce over it, sprinkle basil over that, toss on tofu cheese, then layer on the spinach and caramelized onions. Bake for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment