Search This Blog

Friday, February 10, 2012

Not Meat Loaf

Today seemed like a comfort food sort of day. My mood has been grumpy, spending loads of time editing my book, and working on my new project. I needed something warm and filling....and I wanted to close the laptop and spend the afternoon in my favorite place in the house - the kitchen. I did a quick perusal of my cupboards and fridge and decided meat loaf was it for the night. But of course, since I have my vegetarian step-kids on the weekend, I had to do some sort of alternative not meat loaf. Thus, this delicious mixture of black beans and quinoa was born.

Not Meat Loaf
2 C cooked black beans, mashed
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, chopped
2 Portobello mushrooms, chopped
1/2 C quinoa
3/4 C broth/stock/water
1/4 C nutritional yeast
6 T ketchup
1/4 C flax meal flour (or any other type of flour)
salt and pepper
2 T butter

Preheat oven to 400 and grease a bread pan with oil. In a large skillet on the stove melt the butter and saute the mushrooms for 5-7 minutes, until nice and brown. Add in onions, garlic and peppers and saute for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir into mashed black beans. Let sit (this helps the mix dry out a bit). In a sauce pan add quinoa and broth and cover. Bring to boil over high heat, then lower it down for 12-15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Toss into bean mixture and add nutritional yeast, 3 T of ketchup and flax meal. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Press into pan and spread 3 T of ketchup over the top, bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes. Place under broiler for 5 minutes then serve. This is great with steamed veggies and mashed potatoes, with a little gravy or ketchup over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment