Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Breakfast for Dinner

Being in Montpelier over the weekend and eating at my favorite breakfast space - Kismet - has reignited my love of the simplicity of breakfast for dinner. The combination of eggs, toast and root veggies is like comfort food for me. It's special, warms my belly. The eggs benedict with tempeh bacon that I had Sunday morning is still resonating inside my taste buds. It was divine. I wait months and drive over states to indulge in Kismet's eggs benedict. Whenever I go out to breakfast, as long as they serve it, I will order eggs benedict because it's the one meal I won't make at home. Not that I can't, but won't. I reserve it for the specialness of going out to breakfast, which is hands-down my favorite meal to eat out. BUT, I do like the combination of a creamy sauce over eggs and toast, and will find ways to make eggs benedict type meals without actually making hollandaise or poaching my eggs. It's a fine line I walk, but my balance is solid.

Last night's meal was my post-Montpelier, post Kismet attempt to enjoy breakfast at home. I decided to make a yummy nutritional yeast cheese sauce (with plenty of extras for tonight's dinner!) and some delicious root veggies on the side. It's been a long winter of potatoes, beets, daikon and carrots, and I know that soon enough I'll be rolling in fresh greens, tomatoes and eggplant, so I will enjoy my farewell of those earth bound veggies by gobbling them up as often as possible. The only "issue" in eating seasonally is retraining your brain to not get bored with the seasonal vegetables, to know that your body will find the natural rhythm to enjoy what's on hand. Mine has definitely done that this winter with my root veggies, and although I'm excited for what spring & summer will bring, I don't want to rush out of the root cellar yet.


Eggs, NotCheeze & Root Veggies
(serves 2)

4 eggs
2 slices of bread, toasted
1/2 C nutritional yeast
1/4 C flour
2 T corn starch
1 t mustard
1 t salt
2 T olive oil
pepper
2 C water
1 large carrot, peeled, quartered and sliced
1 potato, peeled and cubed
1 onion, sliced thin
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 T coconut oil
4 T unsalted butter

In a large skillet (I prefer cast iron) heat coconut oil over medium heat and add in potatoes and carrots. Stir, but not too often, letting the veggies get nice and brown and caramelized. Add a few tablespoons of water and cover, allowing the veggies to soften. Add onions and peppers after about 8 minutes and stir again, leaving uncovered. Cook another 5 minutes then turn heat down to low and loosely cover. Let these gently cook while you make the rest of the food.

In a skillet over medium heat melt a tablespoon of butter until it starts to brown then gently drop in 4 eggs, careful to not break the yolks. Flip eggs once they are set and cook for 30 seconds on the other side. While these are cooking, in a sauce pan add nutritional yeast, flour, corn starch, mustard, salt, olive oil and water and whisk together over medium high heat until it starts to bubble. Boil for 1 minute, not stirring, then remove from heat and add pepper to taste.

To serve, place toast on plate and butter. Top with eggs and a generous portion of NotCheeze, then side with a large serving of root veggies, drizzled with a bit more cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment