Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Cauliflower Curry

I crave curry ever day. I love the smell of it. The warmth as it slides down my throat. The lingering flavor on my tongue. When I was pregnant with my oldest, I ate curried chicken several times a week. Oddly enough, my kids never really got into it. Until last night. My brother had given me some cauliflower, and even though it's not in season and I wouldn't normally buy it, I couldn't turn down a gift. Since cauliflower this time of year is bland, I knew I had to do something with it that would give it flavor and oomph. A quick perusal of my root veggies and spices, and I knew it was a curry night. The flavor of this curry was so good and mild that my oldest had two bowls of it - this NEVER happens.

Cauliflower Curry
serves 4

1 head cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 onion, peeled & sliced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 14 oz can coconut milk
1 4oz can tomato sauce
1/2 C stock/broth/water
1 T oil
1/2 t tumeric
1 1/2 T yellow curry (depending on how spicy you like it - this was just warm, but my curry is old)
salt & pepper
sour cream
brown rice

In a large deep pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and saute for another 2 minutes. Add potatoes and cauliflower and stir to thoroughly mix all veggies together. Keep cooking, stirring often, over medium heat just until potatoes start to brown a bit. Add in tumeric and curry and stir to coat everything. Let cook for 2-3 minutes to open up the full flavor of the spices. Add in coconut milk, tomato sauce and water. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and drop down to a simmer for about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir thoroughly before serving over brown rice with a dollop of sour cream. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment