Search This Blog

Monday, August 23, 2010

Summer Squash & Green Bean Risotto

Risotto is my favorite meal to cook and eat. I love the creaminess of it, and the rich flavors of whatever veggie I use to flavor it. My absolute favorite is mushroom risotto, but alas, my man does not like mushrooms. Even though I still cook it and make him eat it, I have to play nice and cook up one that he likes every once in a while. Don't get me wrong, he'll eat the mushroom risotto because even with the mushrooms, it's his favorite dish. Now that summer is ending and I'm filling my fridge with summer squash and green beans, I came up with this recipe.

Summer Squash & Green Bean Risotto
1 C Risotto (Arborio) Rice
4-6 C stock/water
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T oil
1 small summer squash, halved length-wise and sliced
1 handful green beans, chopped into 1" pieces
1/4 Parmesan Cheese/Nutritional Yeast
2 T butter
Salt & pepper

Place stock in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Saute onions until translucent then add rice and stir to cover with oil and onions. Cook 2-3 minutes until rice starts to brown. Slowly ladle stock into rice, one ladle full at a time. Stir rice constantly until stock is soaked in. Continue this process, stirring constantly. (You can opt to only stir every few minutes, but the rice will be creamier and taste like traditional risotto if you stir constantly). When rice is almost cooked, add squash and green beans. Cook rice until it is al dente - tender to bite, with a bit of firmness in the center. When this is achieved, add butter, salt, pepper and Parmesan Cheese/Nutritional Yeast and stir thoroughly.

I forgot to take a picture of the risotto until I had eaten most of it, but here it is in all its creamy glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment